Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Nothing Sticks Like a Shadow

I feel like we are living in the shadow of a circus elephant perched on one of those round yellow stands.  I am standing with my arms around my happy, unsuspecting family.  The elephant keeps looking back at me.  Every time our eyes meet, his seem to say, "I would watch out if I were you.  I do not feel too steady up here." like I do not know that... Guess what?  I do not feel very safe down here either. 

Living this new life has been interesting to say the least.  I am a piece of silly putty being pulled between being completely normal and being in crisis.  And then I can be pressed on any emotion and it is stamped on my face.  Poof.  Just like that.  For a little while I thought maybe it was working, we just ignore all these problems with Lil!  That's it!  She has a little breakout for a few days before her shots, we give her a shot and she gets better.  We can live like that.  Yes!  That is it!  Oh wait.  Then there is that elephant.  And then her birthday.

Her birthday...
LillyAnna was so excited for her birthday party.  It was all she could talk about for weeks.  I am not kidding.  She would hold up three fingers.  Those chubby little fingers.  In the wake of my first babies going to Kindergarten those chubby little fingers were so beautiful it hurt. She would look up at me with those huge brown eyes and tell me she wanted a minions cake.  The next day, while coloring I would hear the most adorable voice yell "Mommy!  Mommy!  I want Star Wars on my cake!"  We went over the list of who was coming to her party I don't even know how many times.  She kept asking me, is ___ coming to my party?  So if you think it did not matter to her if you were there... think again.  And if you wore her t-shirt, she noticed. 
 
 

Between all the fun, thunderstorms, humidity, lots of family and friends, and food LillyAnna had a great time.  My favorite part was when we came back to the house and opened the gifts (thanks to the thunderstorms).  Almost every gift we opened Mommom and I exclaimed, "Well, she knows you well!" or "He sure knows you!" because you all do.  She loved everything.  And we got enough money to pay for her swim lessons for the year.  Thank you all. 

But the next morning the elephant lost his footing.  Lil woke up in so much pain. Was it the weather?  Remember she has arthritis like a 90 year old so the rain and humidity could be the culprit but with her PG it could be just that the excitement was too much.  She also has a bunch of mosquito bites which sends her system into a frenzy giving her a bunch of pustules.  She now points them out herself.  Mom, I have a pustule and points them out with those heart achingly beautiful chubby fingers. This has continued for the past couple of days.  Her actual birthday was not a good day for her but more on that later today.  She is not awake yet today so we will see what it brings. 

The bright side?  There is a pile of birthday gifts and love propping up the elephant so he has not fallen over completely.  We are safe for now.  You are still our saviors and I am still weaving my way through this life. 

If you are near a radio today tune in to just about any Delaware radio station and listen to the WSTW radiothon.  Chris and I will be telling our story to help AI DuPont raise money to help them do the amazing things they do.  They have saved our family... saved our lives and continue to just that.  Check out www.nemours.org/radiothon for the stations that will be broadcasting our interviews.  We will be interviewed live so I cannot tell you exactly what time or how long each interview will be but the less popular stations usually interview for longer times and we will be there from 12:30 to 3:00pm. 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment