Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Have You Seen My Dragon?

It has taken me a few days to process everything we saw and heard.  One thing everyone has to understand is that we are not going to have answers from this trip and we may never have answers.  Another thing is that I know it is hard for those of you who are close to us to get 'the story' from the blog but at least if you read the blog you have the base story and we can discuss the rest with you.  As Chris likes to put it, "Even I read the blog!"  

I am going to give you the details I feel are necessary for you to get the big picture.  If you have questions I am happy to answer them!  There is a comment section on the blog that I am not very good at utilizing but I would like to get better at using.  We can also use Facebook.  Those of you who are close family members, we will talk about it, of course!

The NIH is doing a clinical research study on a group of auto-inflammatory diseases.  Pyoderma Gangrenosum is the process of an auto-inflammatory disease.  It is not actually a stand alone disease.  That is why it is so strange in infants.  In adults it is the process of, or it comes along with, Chrons or Ulcerative Colitis or something like that but in infants it comes without an underlying disease.  There is no prognosis for Lil's disease. 

On top of this, Lil's case is extremely unusual as I understand it.  I told you before, as the doctors were looking at her wounds they used words like extraordinary, amazing, awesome, unusual.  When you are in a place like the NIH where they have seen and treated multiple cases of adult PG and you hear this... it is not good.  Through the fundraiser my mother in law set up (thank you thank you thank you!) we have finally found another case of Infantile PG.  I have not contacted the family yet but I plan to this week.  They just returned from the NIH.  However, Lil's disease does not look like that child's.  In fact, her disease does not look like any other case they have seen.  The angel doc said they have seen one case that looks a little bit like hers but she is their outlier. 

They want to know why the Humira did not have as much of an impact on her disease as the methotrexate.  Methotrexate is definitely effecting her disease more.  We just increased her methotrexate again so they want to see what is going to happen.   If her flares reduce they will see us in one year.  If they do not, they will see us in six months.  There is one caveat to that scenario. 

LillyAnna's original blood work came back with double negative T cells, a very high number of them.  What does this mean?  Well, this is what has taken me so long to research.  The first response would be to assume she has Alps disease which is a horrible disease.  She DOES NOT have Alps disease.  That leaves the question of why the high number of double negative T cells? 

Extremely simplified:  T cells are made in your bone marrow and are an integral part of the inflammatory response.  Starts to make sense.  Big Picture?  I still do not know.  I have made an appointment with Dr. R to discuss the trip and these results.  At one point we had talked about a bone marrow transplant with Lil.  But as Dr. R very bluntly put it "bone marrow transplants can kill kids" and we were not at a point that Lil was that bad.  By the way, I love that Dr. R is that blunt.  I need that.  No bullshit.  The angel doc is not even close to recommending that either.  Before we left she ran more blood work using Chris as the control.  Dr. R also has some data on this from Lil's previous  hospital stays.  Basically we are still looking into it.  But it is the big white elephant in my brain.

Lil's liver levels are still elevated.  This is common immediately after she gets her medication.  However, we took this blood work three days after her methotrexate and Humira so the levels should have gone down.  This is the second time this has happened this month.  There is some evidence here that her liver is showing that it is unable to handle the amount of medication we are giving it.  What happens next?  I do not know.  I could not ask.  It is one of those 'we will cross that bridge when we come to it' issues.  We will get blood work again in a couple of weeks.  Unfortunately we just increased the methotrexate and that is the medication that is having the biggest impact.  It is also the medication that is most likely causing the liver dysfunction.

She does not have Lupus!  Good news!

Iron is consistently low enough that the angel doc wants us to give her iron supplements daily.  Have you ever smelled liquid iron supplements?  They taste and smell like pennies.  I can't even get her to eat some days....

One thing that has been gnawing at me, Dr. R and Dr. Brescia is that her inflammatory markers do not go up when she has a flare.  The angel doc told us this is normal for PG.  It made me feel so much less crazy!!!!!

I met Lucy's mom in the laundry room at AI.  We started talking and she began to lead me along this yellow brick road of having a chronically ill child and raising a family at the same time.  While in the play room at the Children's Inn at the NIH I met a lovely woman who was at the same place I was when I met Lucy's mom.  I was able to begin her walk down that yellow brick road and she thanked me.  She seemed so much more calm when I said good bye.  Her boys where so beautiful.  I hope I did Lucy proud.  Lucy's life had so much meaning for so many people but this is Lucy's legacy for me, to be able to help families who are just beginning this journey the way that Lucy's mom helped me.
We are doing it Lucy:) 

1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for your sweet angel. She is so brave and strong. I have pg myself so I know she's strong ��
    God bless you ������

    ReplyDelete