Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Hundred Dresses


 
Lil is not having a good night and it started with a very bad day. It all began with her sleeping in this morning until about ten.  For some kids that is completely normal but for our little bug that is pretty late.  Then the whining and crying set in.  It is just not Lil.  She is such a happy little girl; for all of her pains and all of her aches Lilly is just plain happy.  She sees sunshine on the cloudiest of days and in fact has a song she sings whenever it rains.  If something does not go her way she says, "That's ok Mommy." in the cutest little singsong voice.  When she does not feel good, you know it.  Today was one of those days. 

As you all know, she refuses to take medication.  Yes, I could hold her down and force it down her throat by squeezing her cheeks but I only do that in extreme circumstances.  My gut told me that her mouth was probably hurting today and my instinct was confirmed when I used my rudimentary doctor's tools (flashlight) and looked into her mouth tonight only to find about 4 mouth sores.  There is a huge pustule on her thigh, it is large and in charge. 

And then the vomiting started.  Once before bed and then three or four more times around ten thirty which is what prompted this post that I am writing while I eat ice cream and smell my vomit scented fingers with each bite because the smell just does not go away for at least 24 hours.  This kind of vomiting is not something we have seen in quite while but I hear there is a stomach bug going around.  Her temperature was very low which concerns me.  We will see what happens tomorrow.  Keep her hydrated.  Keep an eye on her.  I am worried about the mouth sores.  They are on the inside of her cheeks on both sides.  She says they hurt. 

Friday night we went to a wedding.  As I was finishing up a training that afternoon I was talking to a new friend and colleague about how happy we are in our marriages.  Recognizing marriage is not perfect and there are bumps in the road, we both said that our wedding days were the most happy days of our lives and our husbands were our greatest supports.  Watching the beautiful young couple celebrate their marriage that night, dealing with some bumps in the road, I thought about our conversation. I love going to weddings with Chris.  I think about the day we got married.  How he smelled, what it felt like to hold his hand.  When we go to weddings now I think about how he smells, how it feels to have his arms around me and to have my arms around him. I also think about what it will feel like in the next twenty years, to have him by my side.  To know we weathered these bumps in the road, to know we never gave up.  To know that our kids will have a model of love and friendship and communication.  A model of how to take care of someone in sickness and in health. 

I could never live this life without Chris.  Tonight after I cleaned dried, crusted vomit from LillyAnna's face and put nice, clean pajamas on her while Chris changed her bed for the second time; neither of us complaining, both of us soothingly talking to her and telling her everything was ok, my baby girl wanted her daddy.  She crawled into bed, gave me a kiss, said, "I love you Mommy.", curled up into a little ball in her bed and asked for her daddy.  We could not, and would not want to, do this alone.

1 comment:

  1. I will as always keep you and Lillyanna and Chris in my rosary.That was so beautiful said. You looked so beautiful Friday night and was so sweet to me . Love you all.

    ReplyDelete