Sunday, June 28, 2015

Waiting for Normal

 


Dr. R told us we just had to wait and boy he was not kidding.  Lil's pain is just hanging on and not letting go.  What frustrates me the most is watching her act so normal for a majority of the day, or listening to her sitter tell me she had a great day, and then watching her fall completely apart when her and I are alone.  Just last week was a great example of that.  She told me she had pain in the morning (pain in her mouth and in her side and belly), she had not been eating so I know it must have been significant.  All day she hung in there with the twins playing and running around but when it came to bedtime she just lost it.  I finally had to force oxycodone down her throat and it was not until then that she gave in and fell asleep. 

The medicine issue is big right now.  Her iron is low but she refuses to take any supplement.  We really need to get more blood work to see what direction this is all going in but I am so reluctant to do it.  I see glimmers of her getting better and doubt myself.  Also, I literally have not seen her in about two weeks.  How can I judge where she is when I am not with her?  I spoke to a very knowledgeable friend about this very thing.  Why is she "ok" when she is with other people or out and about but then she sees me or we are home and all hell breaks loose?  Why do I see such a different child than everyone else does? 


This friend just became a Nurse Practitioner (Congratulations Amanda!) and knows her stuff.  We talked about quality of life.  I could see her point.  If Lil feels good enough to be able to play and run all day she has a good quality of life even if she is losing it when she gets home.  I do reserve my mommy 'know how' though (and I know Amanda respects that) to say that she does not see how bad it can be when Lil loses it at home.  If a three year old feels they have to hold in their pain all day to that extent is that any quality of life?  To see her cry and thrash and scream, to see her skin and body react to the pain by breaking out in pustules and fever, to know I have to give her an opiate in order to calm her down....  Would any adult live like that or would they go to their doctor and say fix this! Something is not right!  I am her advocate.  This is my job.  And to make it worse, I have been working so much the past two weeks I have no read on her.  None.  I love the work.  We NEED the money.  Having no pulse on her feels like being trapped in the middle of a pitch black room, arms stretched out feeling for the walls, a chair, anything. No idea what is happening or where anything is; ears straining for sound, skin beginning to break out in sweat, fear sweeping my body in waves. 

Thank God I have a wonderful husband who is an amazing father.  We have our rough times, living this life is just so hard.  Everyone tells us to take time for 'us'.  There is just simply not time for it and we do not have the money.  The house needs improvements, the laundry keeps piling up around us.  You all know how it is.  We have this beautiful, hurting little baby in the midst of it all.  I was talking to my uncle who is now the grandfather of a beautiful baby girl with Down Syndrome.  We were talking about this very thing and he just looked at me as Lil was putting her tired head on my shoulder and said, "How can she not come first?"  He gets it. 


Chris and I find moments for ourselves.  I will say I am the reining queen of falling off the high dive at the pool.  We eat dinner alone almost every night (try not to judge).  And Chris makes one hell of a banana split which we enjoy together each night (again, try not to judge :).  But on top of all the rest of life's normal curves, we have to protect Lil from unforeseen dangers; from the unknown.  Everyday we have to guess what is going to be a threat.  Is the threat the pain in her side that is making her grunt and double over or is it the mosquitoes because too many of those can put us in the hospital.  Is it the guy next to us coughing or is it her mouth and that she has not eaten lunch or breakfast that day?  The list just goes on and on. 

There is my girl though, running around having fun!  Taking all kinds of risks she should not be taking: getting too close to the grill, running in her flip flops, running with a smore stick, etc, etc. 

She told me getting in the pool makes her owies feel better.  Our pool and local swim team allowed her to join the swim team.  She tells everyone, "I am a GATOR!"  The other day she woke up and had pain in her legs.  I asked if she wanted medicine.  She told me she did not need it because she was going to the pool and that would make her feel better.  Since she cannot go to school, being a part of a community like a swim team is even more important for her. 


So how is Lil?  As I write this I can hear her grunting in pain from the living room.  She told me she cannot eat a hard boiled egg because her mouth hurts but she is also smiling and talking to me like she is the happiest child to ever walk the face of this earth.  This is the dichotomy with which we live... waiting for normal. 
Lil with one of her best friends and swim team mates, Spencer!




No comments:

Post a Comment