Thursday, June 4, 2015

Listen to the Mustn'ts

 
Image result for Shel Silverstein poem wrong wayWhat in the world would make me think I could get Taylor Swift to come to the AI DuPont for Children Hospital's Radiothon?  It is my mother.  My mother taught me that I could do anything.  Not only did she teach it to me but she showed it to me in everything she did and everything I wanted to do.  I hope that I am showing that same thing to my children.  I cannot take away Lilly's pain.  I cannot stop her vomiting.  I cannot make it so that she can go to school.  But I can show her that she can turn all of this shit into something.  I can show Chris and Nettie the same thing.  Chris thinks we are famous.  Go ahead, buddy.  You think that.  If we could get Taylor Swift to come to AI for the Radiothon, or maybe come beforehand and promote it (she is actually not in town the day of the Radiothon and I would not want her to push herself too hard and be too tired for her concert). we could raise awareness for Pyoderma Gangrenosum, help the hospital that saves our family everyday, and have a really good time.   
 
Check out this video if you have not seen it yet:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=uQIek4HQpek
 
 
 
Unfortunately all of this rests on the shoulders of one little girl who fights every day to do things that most kids get to do without thinking.  She has to fight to color, it hurts to run and play.  We know now that she gets stabbing pains in her old wounds even though they have been closed for quite some time.  The fight her and I are going into now is the fight for her to learn.  What is going to happen with school?  She asks about school all the time.  A friend gave us a play school, her Nonni cleaned it up and put it together for her and Lil has not stopped playing with it. 
 
That is until the last couple of days, and especially today.  This flare is getting worse and I am getting more anxious about it.  Her fevers today were spiking up to 104.5 and going down to 101.  She told me her belly hurt, her shoulders hurt, her big boo boo hurt and her head was really hurting.  We got bloodwork last week.  It did not look horrible but it did not look great either.  Sed Rate was 6, CRP was 0.5 and other numbers were off but Dr. R only gets worked up when things are really off so we are good for now.
 
Angry, red pustules are popping up.  Not the little ones but big ones.  My dad is going to give me the what for because I did not take pics, it would have been unfair to put her through that today.  I will get them tomorrow if they are still there.  She pointed them out to me.  She also did not eat today.  The good news is that she drank.  As you all know, that is what keeps us out of the hospital: hydration and those pustules staying closed. 
 
It has been 4 months since our last really big flare.  That was when the Pyoderma lesions showed up in her mouth.  This time I am hoping there will not be any surprises.  Tonight she fell asleep on the couch at 5:30pm.  I took her upstairs and put her to bed.  This could be an interesting night.  Say a prayer for my girl tonight... she needs to remember 'anything can happen, child, ANYTHING can be.'
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment