Friday, January 2, 2015

Quick Update 13

How do I begin to explain?  If you have been reading my posts the past couple of weeks you know that Lil has not been feeling well.  Things have finally caught up with her. This morning I had to make the very difficult decision to call the in the big gun docs at the NIH and AI to get their opinions on what needed to be done.  You see, as I have said before, we do not usually go to the Emergency Department because we will most likely be admitted and that is precisely what happened.  I do believe we did the right thing and I totally trust the doctors opinions. 

Lil has only urinated twice in the last 40 hours which means she needs fluids.  She has pustules in her mouth which you know and the docs found a couple more while we have been here.  There have been pustules popping up all day on her skin as well and then calming back down.  I have seen this disease grow lesions the size of quarters from a small pustule within 36 hours.  It is not something I want to see again.  She has an undescribed rash on her bottom, her lips are swollen and we do not know why.  We have been admitted to AI and that is right where we need to be.  They are giving her fluids, antibiotics and keeping a close eye on her for now.  We are just watching to see what happens.  Hopefully the fluids and antibiotics will give her body the boost it needs so that the PG will calm down.  That is really all I can tell you.

She is pretty miserable and I have to tell you that is hard for me.  She is used to being in pain so usually she just sits around and watches movies when she does not feel good but right now she is fussy and whiney and very uncomfortable.  My heart is breaking for her.  It feels so much like home here at AI, that is scary but beautiful.  We walk into the ED and get hugs and hellos; walk onto our floor and get stopped so many times I had to walk back out into the hallway just to look around.  I talked with old friends, yes, but Lil and Chris and I were also surrounded by people who had lived our horror with us.  Not just heard about it or read about it but lived it.  I do not say that to take away from all of you who have joined our journey since that time but I feel so safe with these women who helped me hold down my baby girl to remove those horrible dressings and watched those lesions grow, these women who watched her take her first steps in this hospital and celebrated her first birthday with me. 

To be most accurate, it was not this hospital.  When Lil was first admitted, they were digging the foundation for this brand new building in which we sit.  We have watched as cement was poured, walls were erected and windows were set.  And now here we are.  As I walked through the ED today I glanced into rooms and thought about whose lives were going to forever change today like mine did two years ago.  I also thought about those who were going to turn and walk right out.  You just never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment