Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Surprise for Mama

The most difficult part of LillyAnna's condition is that I never know what is coming next.  Every day surprises me.  After a few awful days of watching her lesions come alive, cleaning up her nightly vomiting routine and checking that the bag I have permanently packed for the hospital is stocked, I am now sitting here watching Lil happily suck on (still not eating but an improvement) grapes and askng for more.  Her lesions have completely calmed down and are no longer red but back to nice, calm purple.  She did not vomit last night and she has had no fever for the past two days.  A nasty cough has developed but she seems to be handling it well.  I think my head cold is actually worse than hers.  Chalk it up to NyQuil or exhaustion but I only woke up twice last night. 

My father in law has graciously gifted us with a weekend in the Poconos.  We are supposed to leave Friday.  Although it makes me feel like I am going to start a nightly vomiting routine, we are going to leave Lil home.  It is not that I think someone else cannot care for her.  I am just so connected to her.  I know every up, down and sideways of her moods and disease.  I have not been away from her for more than a few hours since June.  Also, Chris and Nettie handle all of this so well.  Very rarely do we see them act out of jealousy and with all of the attention lavished on LillyAnna I think that is pretty amazing.  They will update me on her lesions, give her bottles, bring her toys when she is uncomfortable and they watch what she is eating and report back to me.  They know when she gets sick at night and instead of being mad that I cannot share in their bedtime routine, they ask if they can give her a kiss when she is cleaned up.  Their concern for her is constant.  However, it is not fair to them for us to take advantage.  This weekend needs to be about the twins.  My guess is that they will be more than a little upset Lil is not coming with us.  This often happens when we do something without her.  I do not mean to take away from how wonderful all siblings can be to each other but siblings of chronically ill kids have a special understanding that relationship means.  As a family, we have witnessed this over and over again in our new friends from AI to a much greater degree.  One mom and I often talk about how these kids know and see so much more than we would like them to but it is their reality.  These experiences are going to shape who they are and who we are as families for better or for worse.  As moms and dads, we can only do our best to guide them and support them just like every parent does every day.  So although this city girl did not get on skis for the first time until she was 22, my kids are going to follow in their father's footsteps and have their first experience skiing at 4.  Oh boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment