Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Memory String


There was a time during my years in college that I found myself in a sad place.  I had just ended a long term relationship (way too long), my mother was burying our family in debt with her gambling problem and although I had some good friends, I was feeling lost.  In elementary school I met one of my greatest friends.  I fell in love with her immediately and we continue to be friends to this day.  Since college, I have met people who have become invaluable to me.  However, it was at this difficult time in my life that I met a group of people who would have a profound effect on the person I am today.  They gave me a feeling of total belonging and acceptance such that I had never had outside of my family.   At the most important times of my adult life, they have been there for me in their own special way.  In this circle, true friendship means having lunch with cocktails so I could write my grandmother's eulogy, bringing a flask of Jack Daniels to the funeral, doing all the nonsense bridesmaids do (which in this case meant three men had to act as bridesmaids); they have fed me good food, good alcohol and made me feel like the most interesting and important person in the world. 

One of my favorite memories with them is the first time I went skiing. We were all working at a restaurant called the Italian Bistro at the time and it was the kind of job which gave us the perfect excuse to band together in the face of having to wear horribly uncomfortable uniforms, serve lunch shifts in which we would total 20$ in tips, and a list of other atrocities.  We had so much fun.  Our boss was the kind of man who most loved to hate (and we all secretly admired).  I was not so secret in my admiration.  I thought he was a great person and he always treated me with respect and kindness.

Our boss was the one who organized a ski trip for those of us who spent an average of eighty hours a week serving soup, salad and pasta in his restaurant.  I had never been skiing and I was nervous.  I loved it.  I will never forget the total abandon that I felt sliding down the side of that mountain.  At that point in my life, I had very little responsibility beyond paying my rent, feeding myself and passing my classes (which although challenging were not stressful for me).  I remember watching my friends fly by with huge smiles on their faces, falling flat on my ass thinking it was the funniest thing ever and being terrified while standing at the top of a black diamond slope but going down anyway because I knew I was not alone. 

Today I had the opportunity to take my own children skiing for the first time.  Leaving LillyAnna at home has not been easy.  If I thought my stomach was in knots at home, it has been worse since being away from her.  Chris and I are very much enjoying spending time with the twins and I have to admit I enjoy a break from filling syringes of medication, cleaning up vomit and pouring over Lil's little body checking for sign of her illness acting up.  But today while the twins were taking their first ski lessons, Chris and I went to the top of the mountain and I had the opportunity to recall that freedom I felt years ago.  It was a very rare moment of complete indulgence for me.  After getting my 'ski legs' back, I was able to comfortably coast down that mountain; pretty much alone, watching the forest fly past and feeling the wind biting my cheeks.  Memories of my first experience skiing surrounded me and I felt awesome.  It was actually an occasion where my gut was not twisted and my mind was clear. 

My mother in law tells me that LillyAnna is doing well at home.  Apparently she keeps waving and smiling at the video I sent her of us.  She also keeps going to the front door and asking for Net-net.  I am sure LillyAnna is fine but I also know my mother in law wants me to truly relax and so may not tell me all the ins and outs of what is going on so that I will be able to do just that.  I am ok with that.  I know she would tell me if there was a major issue and I would worry if I knew too much.  Ignorance is bliss.  I can't wait to see Lil.  I truly miss her.  For now though, I am enjoying this time and my memories. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel happy, pensive, nostalgic and sad after reading this. O boy, I can't believe those kids are out on the slopes.

    Life goes on, and on, and on, and on, and with it the mind weaves memories from all that WAS and IS. It grieves for what can never be.

    Someday, Chris, Nettie and Lil will take THEIR children skiing, and you will know what I mean. Someday you will be 70 and looking back. And you will smile and marvel at your own strength, wisdom and courage. I wish I had that to look back on.

    ReplyDelete